10 Things I’ve Learnt in 2018

10 Things I’ve Learnt in 2018

We’re almost at the end of 2018 and I have to say it has been an incredible year all around! Some of you may have realised that I took a few more blogging breaks than expected throughout the end of 2017 and 2018. I’ve only recently got back into my blogging bubble but I have learnt quite a lot about life and myself whilst enjoying life.

In the beginning of 2018 my heart just was not in anything I was creating, and I hated myself over it for such a long time. I beat myself up countless times and tried to force write posts but they just weren’t me. But on my return, I realised that it’s okay to take a break. I’ve learnt to stop guilting myself and accept it.

You do you, girl. ALWAYS be yourself. When I was forcing myself to create, it wasn’t me and I hated that. I ended up deleting posts. Always do you what makes you happy,  and try not to care what anyone else thinks; although I know that can be difficult at times.

Self care is important. Even if it’s just putting off some chores to have a day of Netflix, or putting on a face mask and having a long soak in the bath. I cannot stress how important it is to take time for yourself. If you can’t love yourself, how the hell you gonna love somebody else. I always find myself with SO many bath sets after Christmas, and I will definitely be putting them to use in the new year.

You can’t please everybody all of the time, this has been a tough cookie for me to crack over the years. I’ve realised that I’m a huge a people pleaser. But this year, I have managed to let it go a little and think more about myself than trying to please everybody around me. It’s selfish, I know but sometimes you have to be selfish in certain situations.

I’ve recently learnt a lot about the way I bottle things up, and that talking about problems really does help! A problem shared is a problem halved add I’m so lucky to have so many amazing people surrounding me. This year I’ve realised who my real friends are, and they’re not the people I imagined them to be from when I was growing up. We don’t talk every day and we have grown apart, but that’s part of life. What matters is that they are there when I need them.

Something a little more lighthearted, but I’ve finally realised that I will never decide on a permenant hair colour. I’m just to indecisive, I’m currently dark brown debating on whether to go a lighter ash-blonde or back to my blue days. Will I ever settle on a hair colour? Probably not.

10 Things I've Learnt

Have you learnt anything about yourself this year? Let me know in the comments or tweet me!

Follow me on Bloglovin‘ to keep up to date with my posts!

1. Aaliyah
    December 30, 2018 / 8:07 PM

I relate to this a lot! I’ve just had a short blogging break over Christmas and it was actually really nice to have a break away from it and it made me so much more excited to actually get back too it! Xx

2. December 30, 2018 / 8:15 PM

I love the fact you mentioned self care. Self care is something I have really worked on this year, its so easy to work your self down and not take anytime for you. You mentioned some really good points here.

Hope you have a lovely new year!

Steph x

3. December 30, 2018 / 8:47 PM

Yes! Everyone’s talking about self care and it’s so important! So good it’s being recognised now.
    Also I’m totally with you on the hair colour. I always want to be darker and lighter simultaneously 😂

4. December 30, 2018 / 8:54 PM

I relate on the not forcing yourself to create content. I have many posts that end up as drafts because in the end they didn’t flow as I wrote them. Making self care a priority was a huge lesson for me this year, too.

5. December 30, 2018 / 10:19 PM

Lovely post! You do you! Brilliant lesson that never goes out of fashion.

6. December 30, 2018 / 11:11 PM

I love that this ended with such a light hearted one! I’m really hoping that I can learn to take some time off and chill a bit more next year. I hope I have more Netflix days in my future 😂 have a great new year lovely x

7. December 31, 2018 / 12:27 AM

YESSS on being yourself! When you have to force yourself to be someone you’re not, you end up being miserable. Sometimes, you have to look out for yourself first before others, and this is not necessarily being selfish. You’re making sure you have the energy to take care of others properly as well. Thanks for sharing!

Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

8. December 31, 2018 / 1:59 AM

Yes! I 100% agree! It’s okay to take a break. Your health and wellbeing should be top priority over anything else. I’m such a people pleaser as well. I often sacrificed my own wants and needs for other peoples’. I’ve definitely learnt that it’s okay to put yourself first. Thanks for sharing!

9. December 31, 2018 / 11:43 AM

I love this post. Taking a break is important indeed. Some of us are way too hard on ourselves but realsing that if we take a break, life will still go on is one good way to slow down.

10. December 31, 2018 / 12:03 PM

I love this and couldn’t agree more that you can’t please everybody.. This is all what I needed to hear before the new year thank you!

Soph – https://sophhearts.com x

11. January 1, 2019 / 8:55 PM

I absolutely love how everyone’s putting such an importance on self care now. I hope you have an amazing new year ahead of you!

cabin twenty-four

12. January 2, 2019 / 8:39 PM

I totally agree with all of these! I always forget about self care because there’s always something else that seems to be more important at the time but it is so important to remember to take time out for yourself! I wish I had the guts to dye my hair! I’ve always wanted a different colour but don’t know what would suit me!

Jess // foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com
    xx

13. January 2, 2019 / 8:45 PM

As you said self care is SO important and I think so many people struggle to realise that you sometimes just need that time.

In regards to what you said about friends I experienced the same a couple years ago. I realised as I grew and found myself more I distanced myself from people who were a negative impact on my life. Don’t worry you’ll find your tribe and that’s the great thing about the online community!

Looking forward to seeing more posts true to you in 2019

X

14. Willy Burden
    January 2, 2019 / 8:55 PM

You listed a lot of great life lessons! The ones I can relate to is self-care and how impossible it is to please everyone. One lesson I learned in 2018 is to give myself more grace and to let go of things I can’t control.

15. Miss Blogs-A-Bit
    January 2, 2019 / 9:11 PM

Yes, self care is SO important. I tried to hone in on that a lot more last year and hope to continue. It sounds as if you’ve learned some really valuable lessons this past year. I’m with you on the hair dyeing dilemma too 😂

16. January 2, 2019 / 9:24 PM

I felt the same.way when trying to create posts. I felt unmotivated and frustrated trying to figure out what readers wanted. I finally learning to create posts that I like! That is more authentic than trying to please others!

17. January 2, 2019 / 9:26 PM

This is exactly me…I’ve taken time out in 2018 and whateill be, will be!

18. January 3, 2019 / 12:01 AM

Your post is so relatable. I started my blog 9 months ago and I set some unrealistic goals. After a few months of blogging, I got so burned out and I wasn’t motivated to write. I needed a break from blogging too. And yes, I learned not to feel guilty about it! Hope you’ll have a fabulous 2019!

19. January 3, 2019 / 1:23 PM

Great post and some amazing things you’ve learnt last year. Doing you is probably the biggest thing I learnt last year too!

20. eviebraithwaite
    January 3, 2019 / 2:45 PM

Self-care was a big one for me last year too, and is something I want to continue working on this year. It’s something I neglect way too often. I find doing what makes you happy so important as well! Loved this post, hope you have an incredible year ✨

Evie x | https://eviejayne.co.uk

21. January 5, 2019 / 6:42 PM

HONESTLY. I AM SO GLAD I READ THIS – Self care is SO important. Taking time out is key to living day to week to month to year. Hope you have plenty of time for you in 2019!

Char xo || ww.memoirsmusings.com