Will I Ever Overcome the Fear of Outfit Posts

Will I Ever Overcome the Fear of Outfit Posts

If you’ve been following my blog for a while you’ll see that I’ve only ever posted one outfit post, which was over 3 years ago. I posted it on a whim to be completely honest with you and I’ve wanted to start sharing regular outfit posts on here since what seems like forever. Reality? I’ve toyed with the idea of outfit posts for about two years, but the fear is just too much! I keep telling myself I’m going to overcome the fear of sharing outfit posts but will I ever actually push myself to do it? Will I ever be the fashion blogger I’d love to be? I have no idea where all of these rhetorical questions seem too be coming from. Anyway, today I’m here to talk about my fears around outfit posts and why I don’t think I’ll ever overcome them.

I guess body confidence is the biggest issue here. I’m not the size 8 skinny-minnie I once was. I wouldn’t say I hate my body, but I’m definitely not happy in it. I know I need to lose a little bit of weight here and there, and could definitely do with toning up. I don’t feel confident in tight fitting clothes, and always reach for jumpers or baggy tee’s; hense why I love Autumn for layering!

I know the blogosphere can be a lovely place at times and the friends I have are wonderful. However, it can sometimes turn really bitchy and not a very nice place. I’m a little bit scared that people would be judgemental, what if people don’t like my choice of outfit and laugh? I guess the only way to for me to overcome this fear, is just to post one and get it over with!

I’m waaaay too shy in front of the camera. Put be behind a camera any day, but as soon as I even think of asking someone to take said outfit post shots the fear becomes real and guess what? I chicken out.

Some of my favourite bloggers are fashion bloggers who are absolutely killing it! Maybe I’m comparing myself too much to the pro’s? I think that’s one of the downsides to this community, we all compare ourselves to each other way too much. Sometimes it’s good but other times it can really get you down. Especially with a platform like Instagram which is pretty much a must in today’s blogging community.

If you have any tips or advice on how I can overcome my fear of sharing outfit posts please let me know!

Follow me on Bloglovin‘ to keep up to date with posts!

1. Desislava Markova
    January 23, 2019 / 5:15 PM

Hey Kayla, those are some great picks 🙂 You should post more outfit ideas, I love them!

Dessy | https://satinoflux.com | Fashion Blog

2. Aaliyah
    January 23, 2019 / 8:11 PM

I totally get what you mean! I do love outfits posts, I love seeing how a whole look goes together but I would also be so shy, I admire the bloggers that can go out in public and take outfit photos! Xx

3. January 23, 2019 / 8:14 PM

Honestly if it is something you want to do, then it does take a bit of time, but it is amazing once you do start to take them, you wonder what you were so scared of! I honestly love your photos, but you would also look amazing in an outfit photo too!

Love, Amie ❤
    The Curvaceous Vegan

4. January 23, 2019 / 8:23 PM

I can really relate to this post! When I first started my blog a few years ago I was more interested in fashion related blogging and wanted to do outfit posts but could never quite get the confidence to actually do it. Since then I’ve lost interest in that side of things and found my little niche but I think you have a great style – judging by those outfits you’ve included here and would love to see outfit posts in the future. Work your way up to it and see how you feel, maybe try getting photos taken by someone you’re comfortable with and then maybe you can start getting more used to the feeling (: Wishing you the best of luck! xx

5. January 23, 2019 / 8:30 PM

We are SO similar in this! I hate having my photo taken, I’m so damn awkward, I don’t know how to pose or anything. I did a few outfit shots for blog posts last year and they were okay but deep down, I still don’t like them because my self confidence and self esteem is SO low! I wish I could go to some sort of outfit photo masterclass haha!

Jenny

6. January 23, 2019 / 8:33 PM

Do it! You have nothing to loose and if you feel great in your outfits, let the world see! You’re picks in this post look awesome 🙂 yellow is my favourite x

7. Ashley Firth
    January 23, 2019 / 8:54 PM

I don’t share outfit posts for very similar reasons to your own! Your outfits are amazing by the way! I really love your style. I wish I had the confidence to wear what I want to and to be expressive. The way forward is to simply ignore any negativity (not that you should receive any) and embrace who you are 🙂

Ashley

8. January 23, 2019 / 9:03 PM

I understand where you’re coming from completely. Perhaps not completely the same thing, but my friends are obsessed with taking spoons selfies (you know the ones I’m talking about), and I hate them. I hate my whole body being in a picture, and I always look so awkward in them! Could you perhaps compromise and do posts where you use photographs like the ones you’ve taken for this post to talk about the outfits/clothing items you’re currently loving? These photos look awesome, and it would help you stick out from the crowd when it comes to other fashion bloggers.

Rebekah Gillian | https://rebekahgillian.co.uk/

• kaylajxyne
      Author
      January 23, 2019 / 9:08 PM

I have had the Spoons selfie experiences, and they’re not for me either haha! I do want to push myself this year, but I do like the thought of doing outfit posts like this – I’d feel like I’m cheating almost, by not actually showing me wearing the outfit? It’s definitely something to keep in mind though!

• January 24, 2019 / 11:56 PM

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who isn’t a fan, haha! No, it wouldn’t be cheating at all. I think it’s nice for those who do show off what they’re wearing, but it’s cool if you don’t. You could always start off this way and slowly shift into the other way of doing it when you feel ready to do so?

9. January 23, 2019 / 9:52 PM

My last comment got lost but I reckon the key to overcoming being camera shy is getting someone you’re super comfortable with to take your photos!

Char || http://www.memoirsmusings.com

10. January 23, 2019 / 10:06 PM

Hey lovely! You are amazing, don’t ever compare yourself to others, be yourself, own yourself, that’s what people will love about you, your individuality! The blogging community can be such a great one but I completely agree it can also be a bitchy one! However those individuals are jealous and worried by how amazing you are. Someone giving them a run for their money. Remove anyone like that because there are so many people out there that will adore you! Penny x

11. January 23, 2019 / 10:30 PM

I absolutely the outfit post you created here it’s a stunning look! And I hope you can get that confidence to take outfit posts as I bet they would be stunning!

Sara | http://www.copperandsun.co.uk/

12. January 24, 2019 / 8:05 AM

I don’t know about the fear of outfit pictures but holy crap girl your style is amazing😍 I hope you’ll get the confidence one day, as you’d be smashing it!

✖️ Jasmin
    // overdosedoncaffeine.com

13. January 25, 2019 / 8:18 PM

We’re so similar in this sense. I absolutely hate having my photo taken and never like the finished product. I’m not a fashion blogger (as you know) so it isn’t a huge concern that I’m massively camera shy but I hope you get a confidence boost soon if it’s what you really want to be posting! x

14. January 25, 2019 / 9:19 PM

I completely resonate with everything you said – I never do outfit posts either because I just don’t like the pics when I try to take them!! I guess we should try to look past it but also just do what makes you comfortable so you definitely don’t NEED to do outfit posts! Xx

15. January 27, 2019 / 3:04 AM

I was nodding along the whole way through this post, I always want to share my outfits and such because I genuinely love fashion and following fashion bloggers but I keep comparing myself and wishing I was “modelesque” even though I follow so many “plus sized” fashionistas and they are killing it, I still feel like my body isn’t good enough. You’re definitely not the only one feeling this way, I get scared that my fashion sense isn’t much to be appreciated or liked so will generate laughs and that scares the hell out of me! I really hope you do overcome your fear though, simply from your flat lays I can already tell your style is superb and one to be shared, no matter your size! Any size is beautiful and there needs to be more representation but I completely understand the thinking as I’m that way myself. I hope to see outfits on your grid soon 🙂

Jordanne || Thelifeofaglasgowgirl.co.uk

16. January 27, 2019 / 8:06 PM

Kayla! What a lovely post. I love layering up over autumn and winter. I love the splash of yellow in the final outfit.

Emma | http://www.lifeofemmax.co.uk

17. January 27, 2019 / 8:53 PM

Oh my, I know exactly what you mean about being too shy to pose in front of the camera! I post front viee photos on my blog but I only post back shots on my IG, that’s how shy I am! Hope you and I can both get over it someday! ♥️

18. January 29, 2019 / 6:23 PM

love these outfits! i was nervous at first to take outfit pictures, mostly because I was afraid of what people might think when they see me taking outfit pics in public. But I learned to not care if people stare or what they think and just ignore them and focus on creating the best pictures that i can.

19. January 30, 2019 / 10:52 PM

Kayla, First of all, your blog is beautiful and so are you. It sucks to be 23 and have the world in your hands and still lacking the confidence you sometimes only achieve with age. I say this, because at 45 years old, I remember 23 and how I felt about my body. I wish I knew then, what I know now. It’s not something I can really explain but maybe its experience or being out of F**ks left to give about people’s opinions together with learning to love myself. I hope you will do a fashion/outfit post because what you will do is give women a “real” person to look at in those clothes. Not someone that is airbrushed or photo shopped. Modcloth has skinny models and plus size. I love this because then you can see people that look like real people. I challenge you to step out of your comfort zone and post an outfit because I can’t wait to read it. Much love – remember confidence makes you attractive to others. xoxo