Ramblings of a 20-something lifestyle blogger

Defining Self Care

Are you fed up of me banging on about self care yet? No? Good, because it is so important. Defining self care is such a difficult thing to do, that’s because what I class as self care, you may not. There are so many different things that I class as self care, which you may think ‘well, I do that without even thinking; is it really self care?’ The thing is, you can define self care how you want. At the end of the day, self care is do what you need to take care of YOU.

Self care to me at the moment, is keeping myself healthy, mind and body. I fell into a really bad routine of fizzy drinks, junk food and literally no exercise. Driving everywhere, grabbing food on the go and literally drinking 0 water what’s so ever. This was really taking an impact on not just my physical health, but mentally too. I got to a point where I was feeling down all of the time, tired, sluggish and it just was getting worse and worse.

When new year came around, I thought girl this has got to change. I literally couldn’t carry on the way I was, so thats when I came up with ‘The Year of Self Care‘ to work toward sorting myself out. All is going well so far, don’t get me wrong I still have a take away on a Saturday night but I’m also walking to work 4 days out 5 and I’m hitting the gym at least once a week.

Whilst I do also define self care as a nice bath on a Friday night, or an hour away from screens to pamper myself. The above kind of self care is my main priority at the moment, what’s yours? How do you define self care?

Follow me on Bloglovin‘ to keep up to date with posts!

17 comments so far.

17 responses to “Defining Self Care”

1. Self care is so bloody important. You HAVE to find time to treat yourself, make yourself feel good and discover your happiness. Mine is pretty similar to you, I am definitely guilty of getting myself in a hole sometimes but I end up not eating and hiding in my bed. I make sure I get out of the house at least once a day to walk my dog, I always drink a load of water and treat myself to a long soak in the bath at least twice a week! Self care is the best!
    Alice Xx

2. Lorna Cole says:

You’re so right, self care is such an important thing and I’m glad more people are talking about it! I also agree, a good bath is a lovely pick me up and I’m also working to incorporate more exercise into my daily routine!x

3. Pat says:

Self care is so important. I did a post about it too. I enjoy walking and use this as a way of unwinding after a days hardwork.

4. Mariam says:

Such a good post! I’m sooo into advocating self-care these days so this was a perfect read! 🙂

5. Aaliyah says:

Self care really is so important, I’ve spent a lot of taking putting myself second and taking care of everyone else first but sometimes it’s really nice just putting yourself first and doing things that make you happy! X

6. glowsteady says:

This is really interesting! I read a lot about self care but I’m not exactly sure how I define it in my own life. I love your attitude towards making it about overall health, physically and mentally. I need to think about this a little more! x

7. Miss Blogs-A-Bit says:

Great post and completely agree on the importance of self care. For me, I like having a nice bath and pamper session. But even something as simple as an early night helps me to recharge. I really don’t do it enough as I get carried away with other things, especially since starting my blog. So an extra bit of sleep is always welcome!

8. Bethany Jane says:

I love this and totally agree with you, it’s so cool how we can define our own self care and just do what is best for us. For me, self care at the moment is about taking more responsibility. I got into a funk of letting my husband do all the domestic tasks in our house but pushing myself to cook, clean, and look after myself has really made me much more confident and happy.
    Beth x

9. Self care is definitely super important! For me it’s skincare – I love giving myself the time to myself to unwind each evening with a podcast or music and do a skincare routine before reading!

Rhianna x

10. The Amy Tales says:

You hit the nail on the head. Self care is so so important. Yet its the first thing we sacrifice every single day. In such vulnerable and difficult situations we find ourselves in, its even more important. Everyone should be practicing self care. Thanks for sharing. Best of luck on your journey! 💕. Can’t wait to read more

11. justnatonya says:

Kayla, I caught myself in the same position too! I noticed I was eating out way too much, drink like 2 glasses of water per day and sitting down too much. I looked in the mirror last and didn’t like what I saw. I told myself it’s time to start taking care of this body but loving it. So happy we relate on this topic the same way!

Natonya | https://justnatonya.wordpress.com/

• You’re so right, self care is different for everyone as everyone is different. It’s great people get ideas from posts on self care but people should find it out for themselves and allow ‘me’ time. It’s so blooming important!

12. I love that you’re aware that self care is different for everyone and that you’re listening to your body and what it needs. I’m sure you’ll be reaping the rewards of the lifestyle change by the end of the year and hope the healthier choices are second nature to you by then. All the best x

13. thewifeedit says:

Since being pregnant I have to look after myself a lot more as not only am I caring for me but also for the baby. Plus my body needs plenty of rest and I am finding winding down a bit more and realising I’m not superwoman!

14. People banging on about self-care is never boring! Self care is so important and we all need to do it in some form or another! x

Lucy | http://www.lucymary.co.uk

15. Lindsey says:

For me, it’s just finding that time to switch off and stop worrying about everything – which is way easier said than done! It’s great to have something like this to focus on and I hope you’re feeling the benefit from the changes you’ve already been making!

16. In a world that’s always on the go, it’s really important to have this moments of self-care. It helps us have a breath, a moment in which we can think if we are on the right way or we need some change in our life. It’s also o moment to recharge